Contractor Safety Share

Sharing safety information

Electrical Fire

Summary: On Saturday, January 31st, a 100 amp electrical switch overheated, eventually leading to a fire in the panel. A fire extinguisher was used to put out the flames. There were no injuries.

Background information:

• This switch was used to power a pump associated with a temporary chiller.

• The switch had been out of service for the last 6 years. As a result, no infra-red thermography tests had been completed.

Key Learning:

• Utilize thermography when putting electrical components back in service.

Comments are closed