A lab associate was exposed to a chemical when completing a reaction. The associate was sensitive to the chemical and has been advised to not work with the chemical.
Factors to consider in preventing a similar incident at your site include the following:
- Isolating the employee from the chemical that causes sensitivity.
- Using personal protective equipment (PPE) (safety glasses, gloves, lab coats etc) can prevent exposure to hazardous chemicals and contact with employees' skin.
- Practicing good personal hygiene can prevent employees from exposure to hazardous chemicals.
- Please take into account the routes of exposure and the appropriate controls as applicable:
- Housekeeping, HEPA vacuums
- Clean break and lunch rooms
- Clean storage for food, etc.
- Hand-washing facilities
- Chemical protective clothing
- Design job to avoid contact
Consider this example as you complete today’s work activities.